Thursday, July 23, 2009

What goes through a 2 yr old mind?








I currently have a 2 yr old son, Park. I have had 4, two yr old daughters before Park, and 2, two yr old sons. In fact, he only has one younger sibling. He is basically the baby, and I guess, he was the baby till just a month and a half ago. However, he is unlike any other child I have had. Park's older brother, by 5 years, is Cole. I thought I had it bad with Cole, but Park is taking the cake, the cake stand, the cake cutter, and the lovely lady serving the cake.







Last night, just before bed, after a looong day of "No Park, don't touch that", and " No Park, don't throw that", and "No Park, don't write on that", my dearest son decided to push his mother over the precipice into deranged delirium (or in other words, he threw me over the edge of mental sanity into a state of uncontrolled excitement; and it wasn't good excitement). And, you may be wondering, just what exactly did he do? Well, I'll tell you. As my husband and I were gathering our dear ones around us for a sweet moment of reflection and prayer, (well, not so sweet and not so reflective, but you get the picture) I noticed that Park had ever so quietly removed himself from our presence. For the first moment or two, he was no where to be found, till... almost imperceptibly, we hear the slighest noise coming from the bathroom. Not the bathroom down the hall, the bathroom right there in our master bedroom, the room we had all been in for the last 15 minutes. Yes, on the floor in our master bath, is our 2 yr old with bottles and tubes lying all around him. Nothing toxic, just the expensive stuff, like yeast infection cream, my hubby's $6 a tube patootie cream, hair mousse, hair gel and the like. I know I should be grateful that he hadn't ingested anything, but at the exact moment of discovery, I admit it, I was ANGRY! I'm not going to lie and say that I reacted calmly, like all those parenting books tell us to do. I did not take a deep breath and count to 10, get serious. Do they even live in the real world, those people who write those things? I yelled, nearly at the top of my lungs, and sent him to his bedroom. Then, I counted to 10...no, just kidding. Then, I ranted and raved to my hubby about all the messy, noisy, nasty, crazy,... silly, funny, happy things he had done that day. And then, I went into his bedroom, told him that what he had done was not good and that he was to never do it again, but that Mommy still loved him, gave him a hug and kiss and tucked him in.




Once, a long time ago, a very wise person (my sister), told me:


Heavenly Father makes children look like angels when their sleeping, so we won't go in and wring their little necks for all the naughty things they did that day. So true!






1 comment: